INSTRUCTOR CEU REQUIREMENTS SUSPENDED: Due to Covid-19, the Board has issued a Proclamation suspending the provisions of Miss. Code Ann. Section 73-7-15 (5) and the provisions of Board Rule 6.2(A), as applicable to the year 2020, and for the year 2021, until further notice. View Proclamation

MSBC Central Office Direct Email:


What is the processing time for a new or renewed license?

Licenses are mailed 2-3 weeks from the date of qualification.  The qualification date for renewals is the date the correct fee, renewal form and passport photo are received in the Board office.  For new practitioners, it is the date the correct fee, examination results and passport photo are received.  For new salons, it is the date the inspection approval was received from the inspector.  Incoming mail is processed by the metered date of the post office.

How many years do I have to renew my expired practitioner license?​

A practitioner’s license may be renewed up to three (3) years after expiration.  If it has not been renewed within that period, both the theory and practical examination must be taken and passed before a current license can be issued.  NOTE:  It is a violation to practice with an expired license.  Anyone found to be doing so will be subject to disciplinary action.

How many years do I have to renew my expired salon license?

One year from date of expiration.  After this time, you must submit a new salon application and be inspected.   NOTE:  It is a violation to practice with an expired license.  Anyone found to be doing so will be subject to disciplinary action.

Can I get a verbal approval to open my new salon or do I have to wait on an inspection?

Once all paperwork is received in the MSBC office, your inspection will be assigned to a field inspector.  The field inspector will call you with two options.  If you are given a verbal to open, the inspector will not make an appointment for your inspection.  Your salon must be available during your notated business hours.  If you do not request a verbal opening, the inspector will contact you to set a date and time to complete the inspection.

Can a Barber and a Cosmetologist work in the same salon?

Yes, the salon must be dually licensed by both the MS State Board of Cosmetology and the MS State Board of Barber Examiners.

Are Cosmetology hours transferrable to Barber hours?​

A licensed Cosmetologist may acquire an additional 600 hours in a licensed Barber school and become eligible to take the Barber examination.  A Cosmetology student cannot transfer hours to a Barber school, nor can a Barber student trans hours to a Cosmetology school.

Can I work under the supervision of a shop owner as an apprentice and qualify for license without attending a Cosmetology school?

No, Mississippi does not offer or accept apprenticeship programs.

Can I make a copy of my license to work in more than one salon or school?

No, if you work in more than one establishment and do not want to take your license from one place to the other, you must make application for a duplicate license.  The requirements, fee and application may be found under the Licensing section.

What is a Master Cosmetologist, Master Manicurist or Master Esthetician?

Anyone who has been licensed in this state for at least one (1) year, and has acquired 16 hours of Board-approved Continuing Education can make application to become a Master at the time of their license renewal.

Can a student in Cosmetology, Esthetics or Manicuring work in my salon?

No, a student is not eligible to practice in any establishment until they have completed training and been approved for examination.  The student must request a work permit to work in a salon until licensed.  In the event, the student fails an examination for licensure, the work permit becomes null and void and the student must cease working in the salon until licensed.

Can I work in a Mississippi salon with my out of state license or while I am going thru the reciprocity process?

No, you must submit an Application of Intent to apply for licensure, have a record of your training and license status sent to MSBC and appear for a credentialing interview.  The Reciprocity requirements may be found under the Reciprocity section.

I am moving to another state. What do I need to do?

Each state has different licensing requirements and procedures.  You will need to contact the Board office of the state to which you are moving and request their information and procedures.  You will probably be required to get an affidavit or certification of your training and license record from Mississippi.  This form may be found under the Reciprocity section.

If I move my salon or purchase a salon that is already in operation, what do I need to do?

Submit a new salon application.  The application can be found under the Licensing section.

May I fax my application in?

No, all applications must have an original signature.

If I am a Cosmetologist, can I also do Manicuring and Esthetics?

Yes, however a Manicurist or an Esthetician cannot practice outside their scope or practice.

Can I have an extension on my license renewal or send in a partial payment?

The license expiration, required renewal and delinquent fees are established by law.  We do not have the authority to allow extensions or to accept partial payment.

What are the procedures for making a name or address change?

For an address change, just make the needed correction to your renewal slip.  For name changes, please submit documentation of the name change.

What forms of payment do you accept?

By mail, we accept check, money order or cashier’s check.

Online, we accept credit and debit cards.

We do not accept cash.

Who do I make my check, money order or cashier’s check?

MS State Board of Cosmetology or MSBC.

What happens if I don’t send enough money or all the documentation needed to process my application or renewal?

The Cosmetology staff will immediately notify you of any documentation of fee or documentation deficiencies.

What happens if I send too much money?

The excess amount will be refunded to you.  The processing time is usually two (2) weeks.

I have completed my training, submitted my application for examination and have applied for a work permit. How long will it take to process the permit?

Work permits are issued and mailed to the salon address within two (2) weeks and are non-transferrable to another salon.

What is a consent agreement?​

A consent agreement is an agreement or settlement to resolve a dispute between two parties.  In this instance, the Board and the license holder are entering into an agreement to settle the violations found by the inspector.

I received a violation over a year ago, is it still active?

Yes, the statute of limitations is not applicable to actions of the Board of Cosmetology.  Please note that all violations must be paid before a license can be renewed.

What is an Administrative Hearing?

An Administrative Hearing is a trial-like proceeding before the Board or an administrative law judge.  As in a trial, evidence if offered and testimony is given.  Unlike a trial, an Administrative Hearing is often shorter in duration, and more informal.  The Mississippi Rules of Civil Procedure do not apply to Administrative Hearings.

Do I need to hire a lawyer for an Administrative Hearing?

You have the right to seek the advice or an attorney on disciplinary matters at your expense.

Can “job shadowing” count towards the unassigned/open clock hours?​

Time spent shadowing practitioners in the field SHALL NOT count towards the unassigned/open clock hours.  The unassigned/open clock hours are to be spent on a student’s needs in theory, skill or practical.

Who can do eyebrow threading, eyelash extensions and makeup?

These are all considered to be a part of the scope of services for Cosmetology. Eyebrow threading, eyelash extensions and makeup may be performed by a licensed Cosmetologist or Esthetician in a licensed Salon.  NOTE:  It is a violation to practice without a license.  Anyone found to be doing so will be subject to disciplinary action.

Are swinging trash can lids considered a closed container?

Yes, swinging trash can lids are allowed.

MSBC Central Office Direct Email:

Web design and hosting by U.S.NEXT